This post is the reply from Shri Anindya Banerji, multimedia developer to the clarifications sought by Dr Mandar Mitra. I’m posting the Shri Banerji’s clarifications verbatim.
Legend : [MM] = Mandar Mitra; [AB] = Anindya Banerji. AB’s clarifications are italicized. The text in bold-italics are from the original mail from Mr. Banerji.
Audacity (as a substitute of Audition)
> Codecs are very poor
[MM] Poor in terms of supported formats? What format were you decoding from / encoding to?
[AB] formats and standards including ASIO, VST, DirectX, and ReWire.
> MP3 cannot be edited properly
[MM] What problem did you face? Again, I have used Audacity to edit mp3 files without issues.
> Cannot be converted into MP3 properly
[MM] I usually do my editing on wav files, and use lame separately to encode to mp3. I know audacity can be set up to use lame directly.
[AB] problem regarding transparent sample rate conversions of files from a wide array of sources and deliver them in the audio format including Windows PCM (WAV), OGG, AIFF, MP3, and WMA with customizable dither settings whether converting material to 44.1kHz, 48kHz, or 96kHz for CD, video, or DVD to get great-sounding results
> Conforming process frequently crashes
[MM] What is a conforming process? I have been using Audacity for several years now, and cannot recall a crash.
> Unsafe rendering
[MM] What does unsafe rendering mean?
[AB] no convenient batch processing feature to convert large numbers of files that have different formats, sample rates, and bit depths to one common format, or to apply scripts to multiple files
crashed many times while problems regarding rendering realtime, while overlaid ( not punched ) numerous sub-takes and saving multiple audio files faster with simply specifying the file format, location, filename template, and more, and these parameters to be applied to each file in the batch synchronization between audio and video playback over projects of any length
> Too few tools to operate
[MM] What tools were you looking for that you did not find?
[AB] looking for :
- quick mix files together by dragging clips and controlling automatic crossfades with on-clip handles
- effects including Convolution Reverb, Analog Delay, Mastering tool and Tube-modeled Compressor
- looping tools
- phase analysis tools
- effects Paintbrush tool
- spot Healing Brush tool
- phase Correction tool
- adaptive Noise Reduction tool
- spectral Frequency Display tool
- lasso tool in Spectral Frequency
- delete Silence feature
> Recording in full duplex cannot done properly
[MM] What is recording in full duplex? Playback during recording? What “improper” behaviour did you observe? In any case, for archival quality recording, you want to leave the processor as lightly loaded as possible. When I feel really uptight about this, I switch to single user mode (telinit 1) and do my recording using arecord, and edit later using Audacity.
> Dubbing facility is not available
[MM] Did you mean adding an audio track to a video recording? AFAIK, Audacity does not have a video component, so yes, I agree that’s not available. But why would you use an audio editor to do dubbing? Or maybe I am misunderstanding the problem.
[AB] problems regarding,
- display video while scrub, keyframe view, and edit sound automation in it, match up audio with the action onscreen.
- editing the soundtracks for videos
- Stretch effects or dialog to fit a video clip by simply dragging the edge of the clip in Multitrack View
- synchronization between your audio and video playback over projects of any length
- editing soundtracks for video and then export the enhanced video in AVI, MPEG, DV, or WMV format
- digitally extract tracks from audio CDs to hard drive for project use
- Seeing level meters that are in use for the master track as well as for multiple input devices, and for multiple output devices
- listening audio inputs through the software, including effects applied to the input track, then modify parameters after recording, if desired
- quickly fixing recording errors by punching in corrections on-the-fly as you rerecord, Toggle the record button to punch in new take only where to replace the old one. Punch in and out as many times as you want
- altering tempo without changing pitch, or change pitch without tempo distortion